WHAT IS PEER MENTORING?
A peer mentor is someone who shows our youth support. They remind them that they are not alone and that they do have someone who cares about them, even when things seem to get tough. We strive to provide these kids with the companionship of someone who believes in them and can serve as a guide through their encouragement and friendship throughout the course of our program.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF PEER MENTORING?
- Gain practical advice, encouragement and support
- Learn from the experiences of others
- Increase your social and academic confidence
- Become more empowered to make decisions
- Develop your communication, study and personal skills
- Develop strategies for dealing with both personal and academic issues
WHAT IS THE ROLE OF A PEER MENTOR?
- Sharing experiences
- Promoting positive behavior
- Offering encouragement
- Relieving anxiety
WHO SHOULD BE A PEER MENTOR?
A peer mentor should be someone who puts others before themselves and wants to make a difference in people’s lives. They are positive individuals who exhibit role model behavior and work well with others. They are highly motivated and encouraging towards others. NVEEE’s peer mentors believe in being Upstanders and sharing our mission with their peers.
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS OF JOINING NVEEE’S PEER MENTORING PROGRAM?
- Must participate in the application and interview process
- Must be enrolled in a physical or virtual high school
- You must be available to meet your mentee a minimum of twice a month in person or by phone
- Actively show interest in the mentee’s life and well-being and offer support and guidance
- Must have good verbal and written communication skills
- Attend quarterly group meet-ups